In what is easily the most exciting day in the last 30 years of Atlantic City’s history, two new casinos, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City and Ocean Resort Casino, will open their doors on June 28, offering up a massive variety of entertainment and dining options along with gaming, renovated guest rooms, breathtaking views and live music from some of the world’s most sought-after performers.
Here are a bunch of things we can’t wait to check out at the two new properties!
HARD ROCK HOTEL & CASINO ATLANTIC CITY
1. DAER. DAER Nightclub in Hard Rock will feature stunning audio-visual technology, elevated bottle service and sought-after DJs and artists. For its opening weekend, “Black Panther” and “Creed” star Michael B. Jordan will kick-off the first night, Thursday, June 28, along with DJ Mel Debarge. Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer Tiësto will take over on Friday, and on Saturday rapper Ludacris will host the party along with DJ TJR.
“The talent and nightlife experience we plan to bring to DAER Nightclub at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City will be like no other nightclub scene,” said Matthew Minichino, corporate vice president of nightlife and daylife at Hard Rock International, in a press release. “We’re looking forward to giving locals and visitors access to the hottest talent in the industry while complementing the hotel’s incredible programming.”
2. Howie Mandel’s Comedy Club. Named after the legendary comedian, Howie Mandel’s Comedy Club will be Hard Rock’s very own spot for all-things funny. Mandel began as a stand-up comedian and went on to become a TV personality, hosting “Deal or No Deal” and judging on “America’s Got Talent.” He’ll open the club with shows 7:30 and 10 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, July 3 and 4, during which he’ll film a TV special throughout all four performances.
Upcoming comedians include Jon Lovitz at 7 and 10 p.m. July 5, and Auggie Smith on July 17, 18 and 19.
3. Tracks, Wax and Picks. The “Sound of Your Stay” program at Hard Rock is free for any hotel guest and includes three options: “Tracks,” “Wax” and “Picks.”
Guests receive a secret code for “Tracks,” which allows them access to a curated playlist selected specifically by Hard Rock’s highly knowledgeable team. Stream or download them to any Internet-accessible device.
“Wax” is a program that allows guests to experience 10 iconic records chosen by the Hard Rock team to play on Crosley turntables in their room.
The final offering, “Picks,” is perhaps the most exciting of the three. Check out a Fender guitar to play in your room. Everything from Telecasters to Stratocasters, bass guitars, left-handed guitars and more can be reserved during your stay. Each will be delivered to your room, along with a Fender Mustang floor amp and a pair of Nixon headphones. Beginners are welcome to take advantage of Picks, as guitar lessons will be available on room televisions.
4. Rock Spa. Hard Rock’s music theme continues to the Rock Spa & Salon. It features 31 treatment rooms, a full-service salon for manicures, pedicures and make-up application, barber and hair services, a VIP spa suite and juice bar.
The spa will also offer the Rhythm & Motion massage treatment, which is something you can only get at Hard Rock properties. It features vibrations, pressures and patterns provided by music selections chosen by the guest. During the treatment, bass vibrations will be felt through the massage table and treble beats will come from above. Guests will be immersed in the ‘rhythm and motion’ of music.
5. Memorabilia. An exciting aspect of Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is that, with the music memorabilia they’ll feature, it will become one of the best music history museums in the country. Each item will be housed in a custom display, and all employees will be well-versed on the pieces, so as to educate any inquiring minds.
“The level and intensity of the artifacts that are on display are one thing. The quality of the design and the way it’s presented — it’s going to be mind-blowing,” says Jeff Nolan, music and memorabilia historian for Hard Rock.
The list includes:
- Michael Jackson’s famous beaded glove
- Elvis’ Rolls Royce
- John Lennon’s handwritten lyrics to “Imagine”
- An outfit Bruce Springsteen wore on the “Born in the USA” tour
- Prince’s costume from his Lovesexy tour
- A dress Carrie Underwood wore to the Country Music Awards
- An address book owned by Jimi Hendrix, as well as his notable flower jacket
- A metallic rose gold, Topshop crop top and mini skirt of Beyonce’s
6. Art gallery. Teaming up with the Wentworth Gallery, Hard Rock will offer visual art from some seriously rockin’ artists. This isn’t going to be a room full of Rembrants. Instead art from some of rock music’s biggest stars will be featured. Paul Stanley of KISS, Rick Allen of Def Leppard, Ric Okasek of The Cars and many more will have works on display and some will even perform live as well. Some will even perform musically. Famed artist Peter Max will also make a rare live appearance to showcase a collection of some of his most iconic works 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 7.
OCEAN RESORT CASINO
1. HQ2 Nightclub. During its short lifespan at Revel, HQ was one of the most popular clubs in all of Atlantic City. Good news for the club kids — HQ is back, this time going under the name HQ2. You can expect to find the same incredible dance floor, along with internationally renowned DJs whose job it is to keep your party at its peak. Fans of ’90s-basketball-stars-turned-DJs will want to head to HQ2 Beachclub on Saturday, July 14, when legendary NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal makes an appearance as part of his “Summer of SHAQ” tour.
Cancel your plans, hire a babysitter, take off of work — do anything necessary to get a clea…
2. Topgolf. Like golf, but without the silly pants and silent crowds, Topgolf is a fun and exciting way to hit a few virtual balls with your friends while taunting and heckling each other all the way through the experience. For more on this see Dave Bontempo’s golf column on Page 21.
3. Ovation Hall. Though no entertainment schedule has been announced for Ocean Resort Casino, it will reopen Ovation Hall. The venue will feature everything from top headliners to symphonies to comedy acts, with a focus on booking varied acts that appeal to many different tastes.
4. Exhale Spa. The signature spa at Ocean is Exhale. It includes a 3,000 square-foot co-ed bath house, a healing salt grotto, heated mineral pools, a steam room, lounge, bath house bar and access to fitness and well-being programs, along with a ton of spa treatments.
5. Glass safety panels. Anyone who may have visited Revel when it was open will likely remember the giant and somewhat terrifying escalators that were one of the most famous visual points in the casino. Rest assured they are still in place and as stunning as ever, but glass safety panels have been added to the sides in order to prevent disaster and for general peace of mind.
6. Esports Arena. Dubbed “The Den,” this visually striking space with its hanging red lamps and cozy family room furniture provides the perfect spot for Esports. Whether it’s watching the pros go head to head or engaging in your own games, Esports is one of the newest and most thrilling concepts to hit an Atlantic City casino in a long time.